“Don’t confuse having a career with having a life.” – Hillary Clinton
Work, no doubt, is an integral part of our lives but there is always need for a balance. Yes, Work Life Balance is important and according to our new research, Work-life balance is a concept that remains out of reach for a majority of Malaysian professionals, who continue to struggle with unsupportive work environments and a lack of flexi-work policies to encourage a more holistic life.
In fact, 45% of the respondents said their current employers do not have existing policies regarding work-life balance. Although 40% said their managers were “somewhat supportive” of work-life balance in general, they were not consistent in helping employees find a practical balance that works for both the individual and the business. Thirty percent even stated their bosses believe work-life balance as a “fad”.
As part of the research, Monster.com in Southeast Asia surveyed more than 1000 working professionals in Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines to find out what aspects of work-life balance are most valued by them.
Highlights of the Monster Work-Life Balance Research
- 39% of Malaysian employees say uncooperative bosses and colleagues are a barrier to achieving work-life balance.
- 37% say their workplace does not provide them with the necessary tools required to work from home.
- Nearly half of respondents feel they can “sometimes” balance work and life, with 42% admitting they worry about work outside the office.
- 49% rated their current work-life balance situation as “average” and in need of improvement. Findings of the research have been depicted in an interesting and easy to understand infographic – click here to view.
Monster – Work-Life Balance Campaign
Monster has launched the Work-Life Balance campaign to highlight the importance of prioritizing a modern approach to work and encouraging employers to implement policies that promote wholesome, complete and harmonious life.
For more videos of the Work-Life Balance, series click here.
Moreover, the idea is to encourage job seekers to Find Better Jobs, Faster and go for the jobs that help them manage their work and personal lives in a more efficient manner. Search jobs here.
In order to inspire and help you manage your work efficiently, here are some interesting reads:
- 5 ways to achieve work-life balance
- 4 signs you are a workaholic and what you can do about it
- 8 effective tips to staying happy at work
- Deskercise to stay fit and healthy in office
If the above doesn’t help, find a better job that helps you balance your work and life. Sign up here to never miss a job that you aspire for.